What is copywriting?
Copywriting is the act of writing text for the purpose of advertising or other forms of marketing. The product, called copy, is written content that aims to increase brand awareness and ultimately persuade a person or group to take a particular action.” (source)
When I work with clients on copywriting projects, I go through a specific process before getting started. It first starts with understanding their brand’s story and why, who their audience is, and what’s the goal they want to achieve with the copy. After all of this, I sit down and start brainstorming and researching key phrases in Google, a creative way to express the brand’s message, and researching a bit more about their audience.
Most of the time, I receive questions asking if businesses can DIY their own copy. Is hiring a copywriter recommended for all businesses? Are they just as important as all of the professionals who work in visual branding?
The simple answer is: YES.
Copywriters are an investment.
What does a copywriter do?
If you’re interested in hiring a copywriter, in my signature service package, Copywriting & Messaging, I work with professionals in the tourism and hospitality industry to perfect their message and website copy, to reach more of the right clients online. What does this include?
- A Branding questionnaire to understand what your business is all about and they why behind it all. Through your answers, I pick out the words you use often, that make up your personality. Then, I start diving into your ideal client and what you understand about them.
- 45-90 minute Brain Dump Call to hear your voice and listen to how you express yourself. We’ll go through the branding questionnaire to gain more insight.
- The TQP Studio Branded Copy Style Guide that holds your mission statement, unique selling point, key phrases, and more, gives you easy swipe copy for future marketing campaigns.
- Drafts are where I take your message and craft it to sound like you! You’ll have the time to work on your business, while I’m working behind the scenes.
- Revisions to make sure your copy sounds like you and shares your message to attract your community of clients!
- Client support & 30-minute wrap-up call to ensure you’re confident in sharing your new message and ready for launch!
During my signature process, research about your ideal audience, your services, keywords, and SEO tactics are done to increase your visibility online. I start with focusing on your goal for your copy, for example: connecting with your community online to convert them into clients. From there, the process goes:
- Understanding what your community wants
- Picking out pieces of your story and message that can connect with them
- Discovering the strengths you provide in your business that can give them the results they want
- How to phrase all of this in a way that connects and draws in more clients to your business!
Skilled copywriters can clearly and concisely share your business’s message in a way that captures your audience’s attention, and retains their interest!
Interested in DIY-ing your copy, first? Join our Skillshare course, “How to Write Captivating Website Copy that Actually Converts”, for FREE! You’ll also receive 2 months of Skillshare Premium on us!
Questions to ask before hiring a copywriter
The branding process can easily be broken down to all the beautiful and visual aspects that make up what your business looks like online, but what’s often forgotten is the message and values your business carries along the way.
Before diving into the aesthetic of your brand, it’s important to think through the underlying meaning behind all of those colors, symbols, and fonts that portray your brand’s personality.
How much time do you have?
Do you write often?
Are you familiar with SEO strategies, keywords, alt tags, etc?
Learn how to optimize your website and blog posts for SEO to reach more clients and book out your business in our course ‘How to Use SEO & Content to Rank on Google and Reach More Clients’!
How familiar and comfortable are you with your ideal audience and clients?
- Graphic designer
- Website developer
Want a full breakdown of how to write copy that sits in the heart and soul of your ideal audience? Get your copy of the Your Soulful Branding workbook, with over 100+ pages of tips, strategies, and best practices from 2 branding professionals!
What makes you interested in hiring a copywriter? What’s stopping you from working with a copywriter? Let us know in the comments below!
Enjoyed this post? You might like these, too:
Writing Heartfelt Copy That Resonates
How I Edit My Photos for Instagram
How To Harnes Your Brand Voice (and dazzle!)
The Big “Why” And My Big Dream
Want more help with your content? Grab your FREE Content Generating Machine here!